Calendula oil is a powerfully restorative and moisturizing ally when applied to the scalp and hair. Let's learn all about calendula oil for hair, its growth benefits, how to apply and more!
Calendula (Calendula officinalis), also known as pot marigold, is a wonderfully healing plant with a multitude of uses. A member of the Asteraceae/Compositae family, it is native to Europe, but now cultivated worldwide. Calendula blossoms (aka marigold flowers) are the most common part of the plant used. Calendula oil has its own benefits when applied to hair. Let's dive into learning about calendua oil for hair, its benefits and how to use it effectively! Enjoy.
Calendula oil is simply an oil that has been infused with fresh or dried calendula flowers. Two simple ingredients! Here is my calendula oil recipe.
Calendula Oil Benefits
Calendula oil has a wide ranges of benefits for both skin and hair. Here are some of our favorites!
- Helps heal wounds, skin irritations and skin infections.
- Soothes itchy skin and rashes.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Packed with antioxidants.
- Increases blood flow and oxygen resulting in faster cell turnover, healing and the encouragement of new tissue growth.
- Highly moisturizing.
- Promotes the fading of scars.
- Safe for sensitive skin.
- Soothes diaper rashes.
- Heals dry scalp, dandruff and other scalp conditions, in turn resulting in stronger hair follicles and hair.
- Promotes acne healing and healthy skin.
Calendula Oil for Hair
Due to calendula oil's natural skin healing properties, it is also in turn can heal scalp conditions, resulting in healthier hair as well. Some of the ways calendula oil is good for the hair and condition of the scalp:
- Moisturizes the scalp and relieves conditions such as dryness, dandruff, eczema and dermatitis.
- Soothes scalp irritations and inflammation.
- Promotes healthy hair follicles, helping encourage hair growth and prevent hair fall.
How to Use Calendula Oil for Hair
- Massage calendula oil into wet or dry hair, being certain to saturate the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave the oil on your hair and scalp for at least ten minutes (or up to a few hours!), before shampooing and rinsing as normal.
- Do this at least twice weekly for best results.
Calendula Hair Dye
Did you know that calendula can also act as a natural dye? To use calendula as a hair dye, make a big batch of calendula tea. Pour the tea over wet, freshly washed hair and allow it to penetrate for at least one hour before rinsing. Repeat as often as you need to achieve and maintain desired results.
Top Tip: Mix the calendula tea with a squeeze of lemon juice and/or chamomile tea for even more lightening results!
Calendula Hair Products
Would you rather purchase some wonderful calendula products for your hair rather than make your own calendula oil? Here are some of our favorite hair care products!
Whether in oil, cream, shampoo, lotion, tea, tincture, ointment or extract form, I hope you have no doubt by now that calendula is a powerful plant ally to have in your arsenal. I hope you learned something today about using calendula oil for hair and feel inspired to use incorporate it into your own routines!