This easy-to-make homemade DIY pillow spray recipe has an intoxicating blend of essential oils designed to help promote both deep sleep and pleasant dreams.
This fun DIY sleep spray with a pleasing scent has an excellent shelf life and makes a great gift or addition to your bedtime routine. It's safe and gentle enough for kids and adults alike to use and easily customizable as well. Enjoy!
What is Pillow Spray?
Pillow mists and sprays contain aromatherapeutic ingredients conducive to promoting rest, relaxation, calming effects, and sleep.
Witch hazel: Witch hazel helps the oils and the water combine well, helps preserve the formula, and also helps the scent linger longer than it would without it.
Lavender essential oil: Lavender oil is naturally very soothing and relaxing, so it makes an excellent addition to a sleep spray.
Chamomile essential oil: You might be familiar with chamomile tea being a sleep inducer, and it has very much the same effect in essential oil form.
Clary sage essential oil: Clary sage is a great anxiety reducer and can help calm the mind in preparation for sleep.
Mugwort essential oil: Mugwort can help promote restful sleep as well as pleasant dreams.
Holy basil oil: Also known as tulsi oil, holy basil oil is a great stress reducer, which in turn makes it an effective sleep aid as well.
Distilled water: Distilled water is preferred when making a sleep spray as it is a rather pure form of water free from minerals that can clog up a spray bottle, as well as free from chemicals. Having said this, you can use any form of water you have on hand in a pinch.
How to Make DIY Pillow Spray
- To make pillow spray, you start by combining all of the ingredients, minus the water, in a mixing bowl, then mixing until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-ounce fine mist spray bottle using a funnel, then top off with distilled water and give it a good shake to combine.
You can use this sleep spray recipe as a base for exploring your own favorite aromatherapy combinations for your bedtime routine. Here are some of my other favorite essential oils to use for better sleep, anxiety, and to relieve tension and insomnia:
- Frankincense, cedarwood, vetiver, and bergamot.
- Orange, clove, and roman chamomile.
- Lavender, ylang-ylang, valerian, and rose absolute.
Frequently Asked Questions
Everyone's sensitivities are different, but in general no, pillow spray isn't intended to have a strong sedating effect, but rather a gentle stress-relieving effect that in turn helps promote good sleep.
Yes. The extra step with the mixing bowl helps mix the oils with the witch hazel and makes it easier to add most ingredients in one go to the spray bottle, but you can add all ingredients to the spray bottle directly if need be. Just be certain to shake vigorously!
You Might Also Like These DIY Recipes
DIY Sweet Sleep Pillow Spray
- 2 tablespoons witch hazel pure/plain witch hazel, not witch hazel that has additional ingredients
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops chamomile essential oil this refers to German chamomile, over Roman, but you can use Roman if need be
- 10 drops clary sage essential oil
- 10 drops mugwort essential oil
- 5 drops holy basil essential oil also known as tulsi essential oil
- distilled water to top off
- In a mixing bowl, combine the witch hazel, lavender oil, chamomile oil, clary sage oil, mugwort oil and holy basil oil. Whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-ounce fine mist spray bottle using a funnel if needed.
- Pour distilled water into the bottle to fill it to the top. Put the lid on the bottle then give it a good shake.
- Enjoy! Homemade sleep spray keeps stored in a cool, dark location for at least oeneyear.